Sunday, August 4, 2013

The Teepee Motel





The other day I was watching a re-run of an old cowboys and Indians show on TV.  This got me to thinking how cool it would be to sleep in a teepee!  As kids, we loved watching old westerns and we often ran outside afterwards and play acted the shows.  We didn’t have exact plastic replicas of guns and bows like the kids have today, so we used sticks, string and our imagination to stage our shows.  As the youngest, I nearly always lost or died in battle at the hands of my older brothers.  I didn’t care; it was still fun to play-act. 

So I told Suzanne to pack her bags.  We’re going to Wharton and stay in a Teepee!  Off we went, making our way to US 59 heading south.  What a great adventure.  Luckily Suzanne didn’t question my sanity.  If I wanted to sleep in a teepee, she would, too.  As we got close to Wharton, we veered off onto Business 59.  Soon we came upon the Teepee Motel!  I could see the relief in Suzanne’s eyes as we pulled up to an honest-to-goodness vintage motel built back in 1942 and reminiscent of the Route 66 era of the 50’s and 60’s.  


Checking in, we were given the keys to our very own Teepee!  The room was clean with a rustic Native American Indian décor.  And best of all, it was air conditioned.  Outside they had giant arrows stuck into the ground at an angle as if shot from a giant bow.  If only I could have stayed here as a child.  What memories would that have made?

The next morning I woke up Suzanne early so that we could travel to Prasek’s Hillje Smokehouse.  Just down the freeway past El Campo in the little town of Hillje, Prasek’s serves fantastic kolaches.   Poppyseed kolaches are one of their specialties and if you get there late in the morning, they will be all gone.


We quickly got dressed and made the short drive.  Sure enough, there was already a crowd at the bakery counter salivating over the kolaches behind the glass.  We patiently stood in line waiting for our turn to voice our order while inhaling the fresh baked smells from the counter full of pastries.  Prasek’s has some of the best kolaches and klobasnikys around the area.  By the way, they also make a pretty good link sausage and we love their Southern Pecan coffee (available for purchase in 12 oz bags).  The clean and spacious dining area is decorated with a variety of hunting and fishing trophies.  There’s even a large fish tank to occupy the children while you eat.  After consuming our kolaches, Suzanne and I were raring to go to our next adventure in Texas Thru My Back Door!


No comments:

Post a Comment