Tuesday, September 9, 2014

B-52 and Conroe Art, Too!



One recent Saturday, Suzanne and I were contemplating what we might do locally for a fun day in the sun. Suzanne was thinking something artsy and I was thinking something outdoors. So we compromised and decided to do both!


First we settled on checking out the Conroe Art League exhibit in downtown historic Conroe. As someone who has driven up and down Interstate 45 north of Houston for decades, I have never slipped off the highway to see what Conroe has to offer in its downtown area. On our way to our destination, we saw lots of refurbished old buildings with old style street lighting guiding our way. Signs and billboards boasted of various venues for dining, live music, theater and shopping.



Our goal was finding the Madeley Building Gallery. With the sweet voice of our onboard map locator’s help, we headed straight to the spot. This part of Conroe was quite busy for a Saturday morning, a good sign of vitality for the historic area.  



As we pulled into a parking spot, Suzanne quickly noticed the painted benches along the walkway. We enjoyed looking at the miniature murals that covered every side and top of the benches. Eventually, we made it to the Gallery. Housed in the historic Conroe Telephone Exchange Building, the art gallery brought a breath of fresh air to the newly refurbished building. With expansive ceilings and stained wood moldings, this building provides a wonderful ambiance for the well planned out art gallery.


Walking around the gallery we looked at paintings, pottery, photography and jewelry by local artists and artisans.  Two friendly hosts eagerly provided information about the Conroe Art League and the featured artists. We were impressed with the quality art work for sale.


With Suzanne’s appetite for art quenched, it was time to quench my thirst. My choice was a new brewery out west of Conroe on Highway 105 named B-52 Brewing Company. What a great name for a brewery. With a noon to 3:30 tour/sampling event every Saturday, I couldn’t wait to wet my whistle.


The brewery is tucked back in the woods with a campground-like tone. Picnic tables with benches dotted the landscape. A food truck served great Bar-B-Q sandwiches while live music played in the background. The Brewery grounds are child and dog friendly.


My focus was on the cold fresh brewed beer. One can buy either a half-pint glass for $8 or a pint glass for $12 with three fills each. Of course, I chose the $12 pint glass with the cool B-52 plane logo like any boy of my age would! The three different brews were all good but Suzanne and I both liked the Wheat IPA. We met and talked to some nice folks out enjoying beer underneath the shade trees. Suzanne and I had such a good time that we ended up staying to the end!


Driving back home, Suzanne and I recapped our fun day with the new people we met and new things we learned. I count my lucky stars as I look back into the rearview mirror and see all the fun we had today as we bring you Texas Thru My Back Door!

No comments:

Post a Comment