Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Go WEST Young Man!




So I did; to the town of West near Waco, Texas. This is normally a little country town known for its Czech population and kolaches, but it made the headlines in 2013 due to the horrendous explosion and fire at a Fertilizer Plant in town. Suzanne and I decided to make a pilgrimage to West and compare their kolaches and klobasnikys (Czech name for sausage kolaches or pig-in-a-blanket) to the ones we like in the Houston area.



Driving around town, things look to have settled down and returned to its “sleepy” status. We walked around the downtown area stopping in at various stores. One of our favorites was an antique store, Olde Czech Corner Antiques. I guess when you’re my age, antique stores are interesting because many of the items in the store are things I grew up with or remember. Of course, Suzanne is too young to know about these old things and is amazed that I can even remember that far back. It must be the effects of eating kolaches and klobasnikys all my life! Growing up with a Czech mom who made these delicacies at home all the time kinda makes me an expert in the subject. At least that’s what I tell myself as I bite off another piece of a jalapeno cheese sausage klobasniky.



Our favorite Kolache Shoppe turned out to be Slovacek’s on the outskirts of town off I-35. I don’t know if it’s the kissing pigs on their logo, or the tasty kolaches/klobasnikys, or the new clean store that makes it better than the rest but we enjoyed the experience.  Suzanne thinks I just like the little pigs. So if you like kolaches and klobasnikys as much as I do, stop in West and eat one for me, while seeing Texas Thru My Back Door!


No comments:

Post a Comment